Monday, February 02, 2015

Teen Acne: Our Most Important Advice

 "I was 15 or 16 the first time my Mom took me to see her Dermatologist. My skin had become servilely broken out and it was cause for concern to both of us. I was put on oral and topical medications for my acne. I began getting regular facials and chemical peels to treat my acne. I had the cleansers, toners and moisturizers that were recommended by my Doctors and Estheticians. But I kept breaking out. Why? I was a teenager and I was lazy about my skin care routine."

So if you don't already know, I write for Surface Secrets in addition to being the Spa Coordinator at Surface Esthetics. I wanted to share a little bit of my history with acne as a teenager in this post. I am looking forward to sharing with our readers more personal skin care experiences myself, Michelle, Jen, and Amanda have had. If only we could tell our 16 year old selves the skin care secrets we know now...


  • Results do not happen over night. 
This secret applies to all good things in life, but most importantly it applies to your skin care routine. Teens need to know they will have to be consistence with their skin care  if they want to get rid of break outs once and for all.

  • Make it easy!
The last thing on a teenagers mind is washing their face before school or after a long day of activities. Make it easier for them by leaving a bottle of their favorite cleanser in the shower! This is an easy reminder and will quickly become a regular part of the shower routine.
 
  • Keep it simple.
An oral medication, cleanser, topical medication, toner, treatment serum, moisturizer and sunscreen is a lot for even the most skin care committed adult. Keep it simple for teens with a basic cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen for daytime. If any Doctor or Esthetician recommended treatment products are a part of the routine, ask if its fine to use them only at night. 

  • Don't pick!
Seriously. Stop. Everyone has heard this one a million times before and we cannot stress it enough! Not only are you creating difficult to get rid of scars and pigmentation, but the dirt and bacteria on your hands/under your nails is not doing your skin any favors.   
 


No comments: